Our aim is to provide the best possible service to everyone who has contact with us. This may be within the Hospice, in our shops or at our fundraising events. We value your views and from the feedback we receive, we are able to improve our care.
If you would like to make a complaint please complete the form below. Please note that raising a concern or complaint will not negatively affect how you are treated or cared for. We will ensure all concerns and complaints are dealt with confidentially, in a prompt and effective manner and with complete fairness.